Saturday, December 5, 2009

Moses is Called By God - Exodus 2: 15-3:18

In the story below, your children can learn that the God that appeared to Moses and instructed Moses about who He is, is the same God who can live in us today. God is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). We love Him because we can trust in Him.

One day Moses was in the desert, tending sheep that belonged to his father-in-law. He led the flock to the back of the desert and came to the mountain of God, called Horeb. Suddenly the angel of the Lord appeared to Moses in a flame of fire from the middle of a bush. Moses looked and saw that the bush burned with fire but it was not destroyed.

When the Lord saw Moses turn aside to look closer at the bush, God called to him from the middle of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And Moses answered, “Here I am.” God said, “Do not come near. Take your shoes off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” God continued, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Moses hid his face for he was afraid to look upon God.”

God spoke again, “I have seen the misery of my people who are in Egypt and I have heard their
cries because of these taskmasters, for I know their sorrows. So I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them out of that land into a land of good and large, into a land flowing with milk and honey.” God was going to take them to the land of Canaan, which He had promised their forefathers.

God said to Moses, “Come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh so you may lead my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.” But Moses said to the Lord, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt?” God said, “I will certainly be with
you, and this shall be a sign to you that I have sent you: When you bring the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain.”

Then Moses said to the Lord: “When I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you’ and they say to me, ‘ What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” God said, “This you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘I AM WHO I AM. This you must say to the children of Israel. I AM has sent me to you.’” Moses was to tell the people that “I AM” had sent him. This was the name by which God chose to reveal himself to Israel. The
name was to become a memorial throughout their generations.

Do you ever think you don’t have the strength, courage or wisdom to do what God asks of you? The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 3:5, “Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God.” This means that by ourselves we are not powerful, but the all-powerful God is and He can do anything. The key is to trust in Him. God desired that Moses would know He is the all-powerful God who would help him deliver the children of Israel out of bondage. God wanted Moses to trust Him. God wants you to trust Him as well.

God wants you to know who He is too. He is your strength, courage and wisdom. God’s Word says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). His name is “I AM” and He is here to give you all the strength and courage you could ever need.

Go to God in prayer and ask Him to help you trust in His power.

No comments:

Post a Comment